Wednesday 29 July 2009

A Midsummer Night's Dream, Kirkstall Abbey

Tonight I went down to Kirkstall Abbey to see the British Shakespeare company's open-air version of A Midsummer Night's Dream. I have to say it was absolutely brilliant - I highly recommend you go and watch it over the next 3 weeks if you can.

I decided that before I went I would find out the story and a bit about the characters and the language, I found a really handy site and although I had to draw a little diagram to get my head around who was falling in love with who(!), I found that I was able to pick up on some of the more subtle points of the play having read this website through.


It was actually very funny and I was surprised how well I could follow it - I was a bit nervous about having to understand the Shakespearean language. The cast could not have been better suited for their parts, the actor (Steven Blakeley of Heartbeat) playing Puck (the fairy King's assistant) was particularly funny.

The setting was perfect, in the cIoister of the abbey. I had a beaming smile as I clapped the actors off at the end =)

1 comment:

  1. My boyfriend and I went for a walk down to the abbey quite late the other week. It was a bit dark and spooky and we were joking about seeing a ghost. Next thing we see a bloke walking past up ahead in 1600's get-up and we both fall silent.

    This explains it.

    ReplyDelete