Wednesday 12 August 2009

Old Boy


Directed by Chan-wok Park, this film shows the mission for revenge undertaken by a man emprisoned for 15 years by a mystery man without reason. I have to say, some of the fighting scenes were a but unrealistic which I think let the film down a bit - the "one man defeats 20" style scene. However the storyline was interesting and despite the film being in Korean, I have found that watching films with subtitles is not actually that bad although I think a lot of meaning is lost in translation (apparently it's bad joke week?).I couldn't help but be reminded of our Design Theory exam when I saw the various wallpaper designs that reminded my of (unsuccessfully) trying to learn wallpaper pattern classifications. If you can work this one out then congratulate yourself, I have no idea!

1 comment:

  1. Funnily enough, I'd noticed the wallpaper too. The pattern is a traditional Japanese one called Asanoha, supposed to represent hemp leaves! I'm not sure about the pattern classification in letters and numbers but it's the all-over pattern of 'translation combined with three fold rotation and reflection'. If you see it as star-shapes it's always shifting. Instead, I see it as a triangular lattice- the smallest unit is a triangle made up of 3 obtuse triangles.
    I've been spending the last few weeks looking for this wallpaper (obviously if I'm going to be spending a lot of time in my boyfriend's house I want it to be easy on the eye ;) and eventually found it- http://www.selectwallpaper.co.uk/store/romo/grandis/romo-estella-w322-01-/prod_54910.html

    With regards to the film, I quite enjoyed the fighting scenes (probably because the background music was great!) and really liked the film, up until close to the end when it became quite uncomfortable to watch. It'd be interesting to see the other 2 films in the trilogy, I've heard Lady Vengeance is very stylised and Sympathy for Mr Vengeance is a bit grittier than Oldboy.

    ReplyDelete