Thursday 25 June 2009

Digital Art Masterclass

Although I can't say I'm an Iron Man fan myself, I still found this masterclass by digital artist, Adi Granov really interesting. For the first half of the talk he told us about his work for Marvel and his collaborations with other artists. Then for the second half he gave a tutorial in producing digital illustrations using Photoshop.

I was suprised at how simple his techniques where, although it was clear that he was a very talented artist which allowed him to produce fantastic images. I managed to pick up a few Photoshop tips and have seen the pen pad in action!

"For illustration I usually start with a very rough digital sketch to work out the composition and the proportions. After I am happy with the layout I print it out and trace it onto watercolour paper. I do a fully rendered tonal drawing/painting on paper, which I then scan and colour digitally. My process is a marriage of the traditional and digital utilising my favourite bits of both. When I do concept design I often do it entirely digitally, but I follow the same principles where I do a fully realised greyscale painting before adding colour." Ali Granov


Digital Artist 2009 Masterclass #3 - Adi Granov from Intel Digital Artist 2009 on Vimeo.

No comments:

Post a Comment